Tuesday 6 December 2011

Mince pies

You may be wondering why I am opening this post with a photo of one of my pretty Christmas plates.
All will be revealed below!

As I mentioned in my last post my daughter came up to see us at the weekend.One of her requests was.......................to make mince pies! Nothing delights me more than sharing some festive activity so I made up some pastry.

I am a great fan of bog standard good old fashioned Robertson's Mincemeat. I have tried lots of different brands..with brandy, extra fruit, low sugar, with cherries etc etc but for last last few years I have come back to this old British favourite, which I really think is difficult to beat. I know I do not make my own, but there are just not enough hours in the day for me to manage that. (Well I suppose I could just take the whole of December off work, now that is a lovely but very unreal thought!)



As you can imagine there is no way my mince pies can be left plain on the top-
Of course they need to be decorated.






I am a great fan of cross purpose craft items. I decided that as well as the trusty holly leaf and tree cutter which I usually use, we could use the new snowflake and ivy leaf cutters. I bought these for using with my precious metal clay. (No I did not have time this year...plans for next year though).







These are some of the fun shapes we cut out from the leftovers of pastry (and yes we also both ate the very last scraps, we still L*O*V*E raw pastry!) I still have memories of watching my Mum bake and hoping there would be lots of scraps left. There usually were.








These are the designs which Milly came up with, note the very large holly berries. Her excuse is  that way you get even more pastry! My girl does love home made mince pies.

We managed to make up 2 trays worth and popped them into the oven for 30 minutes.





And here are a few of them, in their full glory on my special plate..........mmmmmmmmmm they were delicious. Milly took some home with her and we had the rest. My Hb also likes taking them to work with his packed lunch. This evening I had the very last one so I need to get baking again really soon.

 Also at the weekend I bought a couple of wreaths for the house.

 One for the front door and no guesses where the second one is.........


I could not leave my studio out now could I? The smell from them is just delicious.

 I am so enjoying seeing all my fellow bloggers also decorating their houses for Christmas all around the world. Keep sharing......It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ;o)

And now the weather has turned chilly you can guess what Billy is doing a lot more of indoors can't you?


Yes, he is flat out preparing for Christmas.

Back soon with another Countdown to Christmas post,

Bye for now,

Jane x

24 comments:

  1. Jane, Your pies look too beautiful to eat. Love the cookie cutter patterns, what a great idea. Do you know I have never had a mince pie. I think it is about time, I'm not getting any younger, I should put that on my list! Your Christmas plate is wonderful and perfect for your pies. Love your new wreaths, so happy you didn't leave out your studio! I had to smile it looked so sweet! Enjoy the rest of the week. I'm waiting for some sun to take my pictures! xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I have never ever tried a mincemeat pie..and now I must try one. Thank you Jane! What a delight to visit you and see your tradition..I love that your daughter loves to bake with you - and I'm with her...more crust! : ) Your wreaths are beautiful, and oh, I am catching up on all of the Christmas beauty from your older posts - from your beautiful cards to the trees..wonderful! I wish I had more time to blog..but wanted to pop by and visit. I hope you're having a fabulous holiday season so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, your pies look like they were made by a master baker for the Queen! :-) I haven't had mincemeat either.. I guess we don't see them much in the US. Love your wreathes.. I have several "un" real ones and seeing your fresh one it makes me want one.
    ****************************************
    *M*E*R*R*Y* * *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ****************************************
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin you must have a mince pie you are never too old to try something new. Hope you get some sunshine soon and we see more of your sweet photos. Keep snug.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley mince pies must be a British tradition but they should be tasted by my American buddies they are such a treat . Thanks for stopping by and looking at my cards too. Enjoy your count down to Christmas with your family.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....and Teresa too....my American buddies really are missing a treat. You could all pop by and I would make a special batch! We could even invite the Queen - lol! Take care.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane! Mmmmm looks so delicious! How wonderful time you had baking with Millie!
    I love your wreaths! I miss those real ones with the smell of the spruce twigs!
    Sweet Billy - Nelli is now also mostly inside and every morning I find her next to me.
    Have a lovely day! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wreaths do smell wonderful Teje. Cats are such fair weather and sensible beasts aren't they. Happy Wednesday.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those mince pies look so pretty with the clever decorations, Jane! They also look very delicious too...there is nothing like a freshly baked homemade mince pie is there?? And lovely to spend time baking with your daughter too. Love your Christmas wreaths, and how cosy does Billy look snoozing there!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree Helen that there is nothing to beat home made mince pies - in fact I have stopped buying any shop bought ones. Billy is still flat out here...;0)Enjoy your evening.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mince pies look great Jane, I do love a mince pie. The little snowflakes are very pretty and tell Milly, nothing wrong with large holly berries! ;)
    I have my mince meat at the ready, must get some made. I even bought some Baileys Thick Cream for on top of them, now won't that be nice!!
    I'm putting the tree up tonight, you'll be pleased to hear! :)
    The weather forecast has said we are to expect 80 mph winds tonight and then more lying snow for Friday, if it's not one thing here its another!!
    Enjoy your evening Jane,
    Vivienne x
    P.S. That is one sensible cat. :)
    P.P.S. My word verification is 'puslogi', a logical puss, very appropriate, don't you think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you have mincemeat at the ready and your tree is going up...horrah!!I heard the forecast re the winds Vivienne and it does not sound good, batten down the hatches and keep safe. I will be thinking of you. Love the word for the verification...how apt is that?
    Billy is still flat out.....;0)
    Take care,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're the queen of Christmas, Jane, and my true idol!!! I would love to see you getting a whole December off work, and then you would share your preparations and decorations with us daily! That would be perfect!!

    Those pies are too adorable to eat and oh, that Christmas-plate...Just perfect, dear, as always!

    Kisses to that sweet boy again!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love my new title Mia and how I wish I could take the whole of December off work just to get ready for Christmas!. It's always a bit of a juggle but I get there in the end. There are some things that just have to be handmade and that includes mince pies.
    Billy sends a purr, it's SO windy here this evening...Scotland is having gales!
    Keep cosy,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look yummy Jane. Last year I made mince pies far too early so we had none when it came to Christmas Day lol.

    Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the shapes that you have used on your mince pies, they look so pretty. The wreaths look gorgeous. Love the picture of your cat, mine has gotten very cuddly and sleepy too now that its cold!
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Marie this lot only lasted a day so I need to get baking again! Thanks for your visit.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lindsay they were fun to make. Cats are such sensible beasts aren't they!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, Jane, I can't believe I am your only American reader who has had a mincemeat pie!!! My mother was an amazing cook and she always had a jar of mincemeat in our pantry in December. It is interesting to hear there are so many types/varieties available.
    Bon appetit!!
    Love your 2 Christmas trees post and the wreaths.

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Anne
    PlumCreek22
    etsy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad to hear that one of my American buddies has tasted mincemeat and yes Anne there are a multitude of variations but none finer to me than Robertson's original!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  21. That plate is gorgeous, and you are making me so jealous with your talents for crafting, beautiful cards, mincepies, garlands, no wonder Billy is exhausted...just watching you fly about doing all these things must be exercise enough. Laney x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Laney, I just love this time of year...I wonder if Billy could help with some of the wrapping up the presents...hmm maybe his fur may get in the way!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look lovely and delicious and I especially like that you have Christmas crockery, if only I could persuade my husband to allow me a little room for some *sigh*. I usually make my own mincemeat but haven't had time this year so will be following your advice and grabbing some Robertsons. Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I honestly think Robertson's takes some beating Beth..you could always say you made it ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x